Thursday, November 4, 2010

Ew, Ew That smell!

A word about my blog's name: Yes, I'm just that vain! Seriously..My Grandmother, who I loved tons and tons, used to sing me "Row, Row, Row your boat....." (which is funny because my maiden name is Rowe) and instead of "merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily" she would sing "Melanie, Melanie, Melanie, Melanie"..so now I get to think of her whenever I post, which I love to do (think of her).

This is dedicated to my two friends who think I'm funny and should write a blog, so that you know who to blame if they're wrong!  Thanks Jeanette and Brooke!

I joked with Brooke and Jeanette that maybe I would consider blogging if I ever had any "extra time" on my hands, thinking that would never happen!  Two kids, 6 pets, a husband, a house, church, a job...free time, pssshhh!

Do you know how much time smoking takes up in your life?  I hope not, so I'll tell you.  If you smoke a pack a day (not that I did , but if YOU did) that's about 10 minutes a cigarette, times 20.  Add in the time it takes to "de-louse" with gum, mouthwash,  Febreeze etc. and it's easily 2 hours a day.  Guess what?  Today is my first full day without cigarettes so I have a little extra time on my hands!

One of the challenges of not smoking is not eating every time I want to smoke.  I returned to work about a year ago following 10 years of being a stay at home Mom.  My work is active so I have lost a little weight and I AM vain enough to be enjoying wearing a smaller size.  Since I am a bit of a compulsive kind of girl, I need a new compulsion and I think I may have found one!

I have been weaning for the past week and so some of my senses are slowly returning: Taste, Smell, Breathing.....The smell one is the kicker here, not that I'm knocking breathing, that's definitley going to be great, but that smell gets everywhere!  Though I didn't smoke in the house, I did live in it with my smelly self and it seems like everything I touched smells like smoke now!  This is war!  I started today with the sheets.  All of them get bleached.  I didn't just wash my hair today, I dyed it, so it has that "new hair" smell!  Yesterday I got an industrial sized bottle of Extra Strength Febreeze..anything that won't fit in the washer is getting it!  If I hugged your kids lately, you might want to hide them for awhile, I might just catch a whiff of my old self on them!  I have Febreeze and I'm not afraid to use it!

Pray for me!!

7 comments:

  1. Melanie, Melanie, Melanie, Melanie ~ this is great!!! You definitely made me laugh!!! What is also funny is that I had no idea you smoked - never saw you do it and I never smelled it either!! Good luck with your blog. I will be reading it regularly!! - Lynn La Roe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like what you named your blog, before reading the explanation I was humming Melanie, Melanie, Melanie, Melanie to the tune of "Row, Row, Row your boat."

    The words I said to my husband at the beginning of becoming debt free come to mind in re. to quitting smoking. "Just because it is right, doesn't mean it's going to be easy." Have to say that debt free hasn't been easy, still isn't, wonder when it will be - I'm thinking quitting smoking will be harder! Am putting you in my prayer journal right now. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I bookmarked your blog, too - can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn- Thanks! I'm telling you, It's a part time job to smoke and not stink!
    Ann- I hope I have better luck with not smoking than I did with trying to become debt free! Sorry Dave Ramsey, you are shelved for now! Thanks for the prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get the feeling you'll have lots of "followers" soon! Very funny...and true!! Good luck with quitting the cigarettes. It won't be easy, but just "blog" instead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey girl! I am totally following you!!! I'm so happy you're bloggin' because I love your wit! You Go Girl!!!

    ReplyDelete