Monday, November 22, 2010

Oh Christmas Tree



            Things have changed a lot in our family over the last couple of years.  Unless you or your spouse is involved in an economy proof enterprise, the same is probably true for you. 

Many things are different.  What we do with our money.  Mostly, we penny pinch.  Clip coupons.  Eat everything in the fridge and pantry, even if it’s not out favorite.  Rely on hand-me downs and consignment stores and the like to cloth our kids.  Live simply, most of the time.

What we do with our time.  Mostly we work.  Used to be my husband worked and I stayed home with the kids and worked at being a good Mom.  Usually I was Home Room Mom at at least one of their schools, sometimes both.  I went on all the field trips.  I read stories to their classes.  I over-donated whatever was asked for, be it cupcakes or money.  I even home schooled for a couple of years.  If you know me at all, you may think the shopping was the toughest thing for me to give up, and it IS hard, but this was the most painful.

The change that surprises me the most though, is the blessing of the “broke-ness”.  God has blessed us in so many amazing ways during this season that it will have to have it’s own blog entry.  We have learned humility.  We have learned Priority.  Best of all, we have learned Family.  We “stay-cationed” this summer and rather than spend money on amusement parks, we spent it on board games.  The trend continued into “real life” and we have a regular family night now.  My daughter and I are sharing a Bible Study.  The television is taking a back seat.  We are getting to know one another.  Our relationships are growing deeper.  My marriage is growing stronger.

Last night we got out the Christmas trees.  Last year I picked up a second one through “freeshare” (www.brandonvalricofreeshare.com) because I wanted to let the kids have one and I wanted one of my own that I could decorate all pretty and perfect the way I like it.  As I watched the kids decorate the tree last night I wondered what in the world I was thinking?!   They hung ornament s we have collected over the years, many they made with their own hands, and I thought “This is the most beautiful tree I have ever seen.”  It is full of memories.  It is precious.  I wouldn’t trade it for a dozen Perfectly Decorated, Color Co-ordinated “Southern Living Tree of the Year” trees.

I do hope things get better for us and all the other families who are struggling.  I also hope that we take to heart the lessons we’ve learned and don’t have to be taught them again.  I am so thankful for being abundantly blessed with an amazing family and so much love in my life.

Happy Thanksgiving! (anybody need a Christmas Tree?)

2 comments:

  1. Oh Melanie! What a beautiful post! I'm so thankful for you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jeanette! It's a comfort to know somebody read and appreciated it! I am thankful for you as well! I miss seeing you, but at least by FB and Blog I know you are out there somewhere!

    ReplyDelete